Montag, 4. Januar 2010

Incredible India

I sincerely believe the Indian Department of Tourism did a good job when they came up with this slogan. India is incredible, especially for someone who has never been there and experienced it first-hand. Yet whereas the Indians themselves would probably only point out the positive connotation of the word incredible, I will tell you things which are truly and simply not believable, I’ll wager.
But as a short introduction, I am indeed in India (duh). For those of you with whom I had the luck to confer personally, this will be old news. But for the other 3 readers to whom I have not yet wailed over my plight, here a short summary. I had somehow convinced the German government to finance a year for me in Cairo, but 20 days before I was set to get on a plane, the same government decided (in true GDR style, it has to be said) that the risk for German citizens was too big for them to carry, effectively forbidding me to enter the country and thus I got to spend 3 months at hotel Mama. It could be worse. But once it was clear that the Egyptians borders were not meant to be opened again for us luckless travellers, I switched to Plan B. More like Plan “I can’t spend another day at home without going crazy so I’ll just take the easiest option”, but whatever the name, 2 weeks later I was headed for Bangalore. From there to Ranganapalke (don’t let the fact that Goole maps can’t find it deter you, it’s a thriving metropolis….err…for those of you who do want to have an idea, type in Udupi. That would be the next biggest “town”), to Little Flower English Medium High School. For the next 7 months I am a teacher cum study-help cum object to be starred at by Indians who have never seen a white person. So until July (whenever I have the patience to try my steadily declining luck with the local internet connection) I will give those who want to know a small insight into life here. Because, believe it or not, it is incredible.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen